Thursday, February 7, 2013

G'night, sleep tight....don't let the bed bugs bite!

It goes without saying, Miss Shelly needed a bed for her Christmas American Girl doll!  But grandma (me) couldn’t afford a “real” AG bed.  Sharing this dilemma with my friend Sue, she told me about a group of Iowa ladies who were making doll beds out of plastic totes.   I wasn’t familiar with these beds, but with Google Image at my fingertips, I was able to find several pictures of “tote” beds.  What a great idea!  When Shelly and her doll go visiting, she can pack up her bedding and accessories in the tote.  Not finding a pattern, I figured I could come up with my own version, especially since everyone isn’t using the same size tote. 

 
A sheet set too!
Fitted sheet pulled back to show thin mattress
Top of plastic tote
Skirt is removable from tote
Instead of using elastic at the top of the skirt, I used velcro. I thought the elastic would slip down easily
I also numbered the velco tabs on the skirt and tote so
Shelly could assemble on her own
Finished bed!
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Looks good. Dumb question, tho... does the "top" sheet tuck in over the fitted sheet. Trying to figure out how this is done if the bottom sheets covers the entire plastic lid for the tote.
    Can you help? Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay!! No, the top sheet doesn't tuck. It just lays on top the bottom sheet/bed.

      Delete
  2. Is there a pattern for this, or something to download?

    ReplyDelete